- Scott Tinker
- Jon Meacham
- Cory Booker
- Jack Bowman
- Candace Gingrich-Jones
- David Agus
- Jeffrey Immelt
- Isaac Asimov: Science Fiction to Science Fact
- Reza Aslan: No god but God
- Norm Augustine: Want Jobs? Invest in Universities
- Charles Best: DonorsChoose.org
- Dr. Robert DiClerico: The Last Class
- Bill Easterly: Free the Poor!
- Jared Fogle: Living Well
- Harold Ford, Jr.: More Davids than Goliaths
- Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
- Leroy Hood: Systems Biology & Medicine
- Arianna Huffington: The Road to 2008
- Gwen Ifill: Evolution in Washington
- Walter Isaacson: Evolution of Mass Communication
- Sebastian Junger: Front Lines of History
- John Kao: Mr. Creativity
- Sheril Kirshenbaum: Unscientific America
- Meave Leakey: Evolution & Fossil Evidence in Africa
- Gayle Tzemach Lemmon: The Dressmaker of Khair Khana
- C. Peter Magrath: Land-Grant @ 150
- James McPherson: Lincoln and the Millennium
- Maria Mossman: Peace Caravan
- Siddhartha Mukherjee: The Emperor of All Maladies
- Gary Paul Nabhan: Renewing America's Food Traditions
- Soledad O'Brien: Diversity & Media
- Byron Pitts: Step Out on Nothing
- Marcus Rediker: The Slave Ship
- Mark Russell: Comedy, Music, Bribery, and Conspiracy
- Laurie Santos: Evolution of Irrationality
- Joshua Wolf Shenk: Lincoln's Melancholy
- Rebecca Skloot: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Gore Vidal: A Conversation
- Sarah Vowell: Assassination Vacation
- Alan Weisman: The World Without Us
- Cornel West: Hip Hop, Law & Culture
- Jerry West: My Life
- The Revolution Will Be Tweeted!
- Einstein's Unfinished Symphony
- Does Race Matter?
- Digital Media and the 2008 Presidential Election
- The American Penny
Mayor of Newark, New Jersey
Thursday, February 7, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
Co-sponsor: WVU Center for Black Culture and Research
Cory Booker is in his second term as mayor of Newark, N.J., the largest city in the state and neighbor to New York City. In his time as mayor, the city has seen a steady drop in crime, including its first murder-free month in more than 44 years. The production of affordable housing has more than doubled in the city, and Booker has presided over an increase in philanthropy, including a $100 million gift from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to the Newark school system.
He has become known for his social media savvy with more than 1 million followers on Twitter, a medium he often uses to communicate with constituents whether that is offering to remove snow from residents’ driveways or reporting the outcome after he pulled a woman from a burning house.
Booker is a graduate of Stanford University and Yale Law School, and was a Rhodes Scholar. He recently spoke at the 2012 Democratic National Convention.